Sunday, March 6, 2011

horses *are* poetry....

An alumna of the class of 1974 contacted me yesterday. How exciting! Can't wait to talk with her and hear her stories about the UConn horse barn in the early 70s.

The UC Doc Daniels chapter is progressing nicely. I find my words are leaning towards an almost poetry-like style as I write about these amazing horses. It wasn't intentional, it just happened that way. I don't want to write a dry history text--how can I write that a horse like UC Doc Daniels is simply "a bay Morgan born in 1987" when he is so much more than that?

I want to give my readers a peek into a soul.

....and what grands souls they are, these UConn Morgans....


Check out this video. Can you see why the Morgan horse inspires me so?


The Morgan horse is living, breathing American history. They helped build our great country; they pulled the stone boats for our walls, hauled the logs for our houses and carried us on their sturdy, proud backs.

I raise a glass in your honor, dear Morgan horse. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment