Thursday, March 10, 2011

Justin Morgan Had a Horse


I read Marguerite Henry's book, Justin Morgan Had a Horse, when I was around nine years old and I promptly fell in love with the Morgan breed.

I bugged my parents to get me a Morgan for Christmas (yup--just get a Morgan--I'll keep it in my bedroom!). I drew Morgans all the time; intently studying Wesley Dennis' illustrations. I made sure the neck was thick and the legs sturdy. I envisioned Justin Morgan beating every horse in a race and out-pulling even the strongest of seasoned workhorses. Justin Morgan, also known as Figure, was born a runt; nothing to write home about, but he grew into an amazing stallion of great heart, mighty strength and boundless stamina. He was the father of America's first breed: The Morgan.

For Christmas one year, my parents gave me a set of fabric markers and my first project was to draw the mighty Figure on my favorite ratty orange t-shirt (see pic on left--you can kinda see it). I wore that orange t-shirt all the time. I was a kid obsessed.

I'm 43 now, and my childhood love of the Morgan horse has re-awakened.

And that makes me very happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment