Sunday, July 10, 2011

Mentor

The government-bred Morgan stallion, Mentor, stood at UConn in the 1950s-60s.

He was...

AMAZING.

He is the subject for my latest painting. I don't have any color photos of him, but I learned from a trustworthy source that he was a deep, dark chestnut. He is buried on a farm in a nearby town--as a matter of fact, I drove down that very street today.

Did I feel awe when I passed by the fields and farms, wondering which grassy meadow held the bones of Mentor? Absolutely.

I hope my painting can adequately honor this great, great horse.

Mentor inspired me to write this poem today:


My Horse, My Heart

Under a tree, my beloved steed

Earth and roots now hold you near.

Twisted branches scrape the painted sky

With sun to soothe and stars to guide.

My old friend, he is there in the nimbus

Wind shapes his hoof and molds his ear.

I see him in the rays through my window

I hear him in the gust through the flue.

My horse, my heart-- he is near.

My horse, my heart--he is here.

-Helen Scanlon, 7/10/11

No comments:

Post a Comment