Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Meeting the copper comet

UC High Hopes, aka "Shoe", 16" x 20", acrylic and copper leaf on canvas, 2010, by Helen Scanlon. Bobb collection.


A UConn Morgan is very special. Bred from government lines, these horses have the bravery, stamina and intelligence befitting a cavalry steed. UConn's Morgans carry the blood of the courageous horses that carried men into battle: calm in the face of gunfire, surefooted over uneven terrain--these horses often gave their lives to save the riders astride them.

They were tough as nails.

Those qualities have not been diluted over time.

The perfect example of that tough-as-nails UConn Morgan spirit popped into my life one hot day in late August, 2010. A little Morgan gelding by the name of UC High Hopes, aka "Shoe," was just awarded High Point Dressage Champion at the Randy May Memorial Schooling Show at Little Divide Farm in Mansfield, Connecticut. The prize? A custom equine portrait by yours truly.

I knew his rider and trainer, Meg Brauch, from the late eighties/early nineties as a kid who rode at Woodcock Hill Riding Academy, where I was employed as a groom. She was now an adult and a damn good horse trainer. Her reputation for being able to get through to the young horse was well-known in horse circles. Shoe was one of her successful equine students. He had quite the story....

I had the first chapter of my book: Shoe was the perfect example of the strength, tenacity and character of the UConn-bred Morgan. He is known as the "bionic super pony."

Why? Well, only a few short years ago he was dangling between life and death, and here he was---not only alive, but winning.

When I presented his portrait to his owner, Arlis, she was delighted. Then, I met the famous Shoe.

I patted the copper gelding on his neck and I told him how thrilled I was to meet the famous super pony. Shoe had his ears up; curious about the new friend who came to meet him. He was sweet, cordial and well, cute as a button.

I could see why Meg fell in love with him at first sight.

In December 2010 I met up with Arlis and Meg at the local coffee shop, notebook in my satchel. The place was busy that day, but we found a tiny table near the door. As they told me Shoe's story, I found myself uttering "wow" quite a bit as I hurriedly took my notes. My hot chocolate went cold. I didn't dare sip it as I wrote, lest I miss something.

Writing his story was an incredibly moving experience. Shoe truly is a hero.

The story of the amazing UC High Hopes is the first chapter of My Horse, My Heart: The Morgan Horses of the University of Connecticut. No spoilers, here!

No comments:

Post a Comment