Monday, January 24, 2011

Journeys

Detail of UC Ringmaster, 2007, by Helen Scanlon. See the whole painting at the University of Connecticut Horse Barn Arena Lounge.


I stirred from a deep sleep at 3am thinking of my old friend, UC Ringmaster. What a horse! I thought about that day in 2007 he nickered and whuffled at me, begging me to paint him. He was quite persistent and I gave in and painted a huge watercolor and ink portrait of him. UC Ringmaster always gets what he wants, I guess!

I thought, wouldn't it be great to do a book about him? Then, I took it a step further: what about a book about ALL of those incredible UConn Morgan stallions and broodmares? Complete with illustrations and photos!

Whoa. That's a lot of work, I thought. But, what fun!

Before I fell back to sleep, I told myself that if my idea was still with me at breakfast, I would follow through....

Then I feel asleep.

I woke up three hours later with the book idea burning my brain.

Oh great, I thought. Now I gotta do something about it.....

I e-mailed my friend Kathy Pelletier, UConn Horsebarn Assistant Manager, and I asked her if there were any books on the UConn Morgans.

Nope.

Okay, then! Onward!

I am happy to share my research and writing adventures with all of you. I have three chapters already written, so I need to get a move on with this blog. Watch this space, and feel free to comment. I would love to hear from you!

Helen

No comments:

Post a Comment